Thursday, November 3, 2016

Help.....I'm Having A Panic Attack!

The other day, my eight year old grandson was showing me his muscles.  He rolled up his sleeve and said, "Look at my muscles!"  He flexed his arms and sure enough, he had two cute little muscles to show off.  He was so proud of those muscles.  He just knew that he had power because of those muscles.

That same week, I found that I needed to flex my  muscles.  Well, not quite like my grandson's muscles, but powerful muscles none the less.  I don't know quite why, maybe because I am getting older, but I have found myself getting panicky several times this past month.  It happens when I am thinking about something that I am struggling with.  This is something that I am not used to experiencing.  I have not struggled with panic attacks before and have found that they are not pleasant at all.  I really don't like that "out of control" feeling that rises up in me.

As soon as I began experiencing these "panic attacks", I knew that I did not want to deal with them.  They were way too uncomfortable for me.  I was feeling overwhelmed.  I knew I had to take control and squelch them but, truthfully could not do it on my own power.  I needed a power that was not to be found in my own muscles.  I needed a power that was beyond myself; a power that was bigger than me and a power that was effective.

I knew I needed the power that the name of Jesus gave me.  The Bible says in Jeremiah 10:6, "No one is like you, Lord, you are great and your name is mighty in power."  And then in Philippians 2:10, "...that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, in heaven and on earth."  I needed the power that is found in the name of Jesus.

And so, when I began to feel the panic rise up in me, I began to speak the name of Jesus out loud, over and over and over again.  As I said, "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Jesus.....", I began to feel the panic subside and I felt peace flood my soul.  Three times this past month I spoke the name of Jesus over and over and over again until the panic subsided and I felt the "peace that passes all understanding."

Are you struggling with anything?  Do you need to take control but can't?  Does life get overwhelming for you at times?  If you answer yes to any of these questions, I encourage you to call on the powerful name of Jesus.  You are not alone in your struggles.  Jesus is standing right there beside you.....do you see Him?

Encouraging You Today
in Your Walk with our Lord and Savior,
Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment