Thursday, May 2, 2013

Encourager or Discourager?

I recently took a short Encouragement Trip to encourage some of my brothers and sisters in Christ.  On my encouragement journey, I heard stories and saw the effects of brothers and sisters in Christ encouraging and being encouraged by one another.  I saw people living out I Thessalonians 5:11 which says, "Therefore, encourage one another and build each other up just as in fact you are doing."  Because encouragement was being poured into them and they were being built up, they were filled with the joy of the Lord and were then encouraging others. 
 
As I sat and listened to my brothers and sisters in Christ share their Christian journey with me, I was reminded that we are all part of a family, the family of God.  God is our Daddy and He wants the very best for us.  So, like any good Daddy, He tells us in His Word what He expects from us as a family.  And like any good Daddy, He is very clear about it; He wants us to love and encourage one another in order to be unified. 
 

In Ephesians  4:2-3, He tells us to "be patient, bearing with one another in love.  Make every effort to keep the unity of the Spirit through the bond of peace."  And then in Philippians 2:2-3 He tells us to "be like minded, having the same love, being one in spirit and purpose.  Do nothing out of selfish ambition, but in humility consider others better than yourselves."  And then in Psalm 133:1, God tells us if we obey Him and live in unity with one another, "how good and pleasant it will be."

Then I heard other stories; stories about brothers and sisters in Christ living with divisions amongst themselves.  Stories of brothers and sisters in Christ judging and condemning one another.  Stories of brothers and sisters in Christ hurting each other through their words and actions.  My heart was heavy as I listened to these stories and saw the pain on the person sharing.

Jesus dealt with this situation when He said in Matthew 7:1-5, "Do not judge or you too will be judged.  For in the same way you judge others, you will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.  Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?  How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye, when all the time there is a plank in your own eye?  You hypocrite!  First take the plank out of your own eye and then you will see clearly to remove the speck in your brother's eye." 

God does not want us to condemn one another as He tells us in Romans 8:1 by saying, "there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus."  If God does not condemn us, we as Christians should not condemn each other.

God showed me two sides of this Christian walk on my Encouragement Trip this past month that have two very different outcomes.  He showed me the encouragement side that brought joy and  a smile to my brothers and sisters in Chist; then He showed me the discouraging side that brought pain and sorrow to my brothers and sisters in Christ.
 
I ask you today; how are you treating your family members, your brothers and sisters in Chirist?  Are you sharing your life and scripture with them?  Are you known as the Encourager in the family or are you known as the Discourager in the family? 
 
God has shown me so many ways that I can encourage my brothers and sisters in Christ and build them up.  Ways like sharing an uplifting scripture; living a righteous life as an example;  eating a meal together and listening to what is happening in their life; giving a small gift or simply a picked flower that says "You are valuable to me."; spending time together doing something fun; talking about what Jesus is doing in your life and so much more.
 
Sharing a treat with a brother or sister in Christ
can be encouraging to them.
 
Sharing a flower with a brother or sisters in Christ
can be encouraging to them.
 
If you are the Encourager, good for you; keep it up.....you are doing exactly what God wants you to do.  God is using you in a mighty way to bring Glory to His Kingdom.  As you encourage your brothers and sisters they will go out and encourage their brothers and sisters and then their brothers and sisters will go out and encourage their brothers and sisters and then..............
 
If you are the Discourager, you can change; repent.....God is a God of forgiveness!  Embrace I Thessalonians 5:11 and become the Encourager that your brothers and sisters in Christ so desperately need.....and when you do, I am positive that you will receive encouragement in return!
 
Encouraging You In Christ!
All Praise, Honor and Glory to God!

 Encourage One Another
Website:  www.eoaiRocks.com







No comments:

Post a Comment